Did you know that an average keyboard has 104 buttons? And a common controller has 24 (including 2 sticks with 4 directions each). So, how can you create a controller config for a game that is meant to be played with keyboard and has lots of controls? It is actually possible with our PC controller software :)
Today we’re going to talk about using some of awesome features of our PC gamepad software, they can help you to map more buttons to controller and ameliorate your gaming experience. Apart from super useful features reWASD has, Shift mode and Slots are the most exciting for me. They have a bit in common — adding extra bindings to the single controller. But actually, each of them has characteristics that must be described separately.
The best PC controller software presents Shift mode!
A must-have for every gamepad for PC software — Shift mode — is great to use when you need more mappings on your controller. You can map up to 112 keyboard buttons to one controller instead of 24. The way it works is the following: you pick a Shift modifier, and once you press and hold it — your main mappings change to another set. Our PC game controller software permits to choose up to 4 Shift modifiers in one configuration.
The best PC controller software has some interesting nuances that you, folks, always forget about: if you left some buttons spare inside the shift, the main mappings would reproduce even if the Shift modifier is activated. After the version 2.0 of our PC gamepad software released, we’ve added a feature that permits to deactivate the main mappings inside the Shift. Pick the “Do not inherit” option for the main mapping which you don’t want to reproduce while the Shift is active.
One more opportunity, our gamepad for PC software has for you to discover, is unmapping buttons inside the Shift. Imagine, the game has full controller support. And there are some additional keyboard keys you need to use while playing with controller. You can surely map them as well if you use the right PC controller software! Just create the Shift modifier, add the needed keys, and mute the native controls by unmapping them. Thus, the native controls won’t work inside the shift once you unmap them, shift mappings will reproduce instead.
Now it’s time to find out how to create shifts:
- Download reWASD from our official page. You will have 14 days to try out this PC game controller software for free.
- Connect your gamepad to PC. You’ll see it in the bottom left corner. If you have multiple controllers, you’ll need to pick the one you want to map.
- Create a game profile (an empty config will be created automatically), and start remapping. Pick the controller button, then — the keyboard key that you want to assign to it.
- When you’re done with the main mappings, it’s time to add some Shift modifiers. Pay attention to the top left corner, pick the shift, and add mappings that will reproduce once the shift is activated.
- Fill more shifts if needed, press “Apply”. You’ll see the “Remap is ON” in the bottom left corner. Now you can try this awesome feature in a game!
Note, that our PC controller software has an awesome hooking feature that saves your time: just click the controller or keyboard button — reWASD will hook it right away!
Activate up to 4 configs with our gamepad for PC software - use Slots!
There's one more way to increase the number of possible mappings with the PC gamepad software. It is super handy for games with multiple mechanics because usually each of them requires a different set of bindings. Our PC controller software permits to apply up to four configs at once for a single controller. You can switch between them while in-game by pressing a specific button combination on your controller, or you can simply pick one from the main interface.
I use this feature for Elite Dangerous: first I created different configs for flying, combat and mining. Later, I saved each configuration to a different slot, and now when I need to extract minerals, I simply change from Flying to Mining by using a hotkey (two bumpers and one of the XYAB buttons). That’s how this gamepad for PC software saves my time and nerves! :)
Note that you can’t switch to an empty slot with controller, you can only pick the spare one in the main window and then assign a config to it.
The interface is clear while using slots, let me show the nuances:
- Download reWASD from our official page. You will get a 14-day trial. We suggest to use the trial first, but we’re sure this PC game controller software will melt your heart!
- Connect your gamepad to PC. You’ll see it in the bottom left corner. If you have multiple controllers you’ll need to pick the one you want to apply slots to.
- You’ll see the following screen:
- Create a game profile (an empty config will be created automatically) and start remapping. Pick the controller button, then — the keyboard key that you want to assign to it.
- Once you’ve done this, you’ll be redirected to the chosen slot. You can see it below:
- Do the same thing for other configs. Once you’ve finished, you can switch between slots by picking them directly from PC gamepad software GUI, and you’ll see each config previously applied to a certain slot.
Note, that slots are visible only if remap is on. If you have all the configs already saved in your PC controller software — you can simply choose the profile, then the config, pick the slot to assign the config to and press “Apply”.
Now you can play using slots and switching between different configs at a glance.
These features are not the only ones that are useful in our PC game controller software, there are much more stuff you can use for your own good. Turn off the native controller support to overlap with your own preset, customize the analog controls behavior, use controller as mouse, remap Elite paddles, etc.
If you have any suggestions about new features for the best PC controller software — don’t hesitate to contact us here in comments below, through our Facebook page or support directly.